Computers should be protected with an appropriate case that safeguards it against impact damage; and in the case of mobile devices, shock/water/dirt/abrasion damage. We also recommend that parents record the serial numbers of all electronic devices.
Following our mandate of preparing our students to be responsible and capable digital citizens, Coast Mountain Academy is proud to be a fully-integrated Google Apps for Education school. This means that students and faculty at CMA use the Google Apps suite of applications and other digital tools for most classroom activity.
Each student is given a Google account attached to Coast Mountain Academy. This account includes the following:
- A personal email account with an ‘@coastmountainacademy.ca’ address, built on the powerful GMail platform
- A private cloud storage Drive with unlimited capacity
- Individualized Calendar, Contacts, To Do lists, and other productivity tools hosted in the cloud and accessible from anywhere
- Access to cutting-edge collaborative document software like Docs, Sheets, Slides, Sites, and more.
Additionally, students will use their ‘CMA account’ use Google apps like Forms and Classroom to complete everyday classroom activities and assignments.
CMA Student Technology Requirements
Students are expected to come to school every day equipped to work in our dynamic technological environment. Our heavy use of online tools and digital workflows for learning activities means students will need a certain level of technology to engage in what CMA has to offer.
We recognize the value in having students and parents choose the operating systems and hardware that they prefer or that they may already have. We are committed to reviewing those options and helping families find the best possible tech options. With that in mind, here are the minimum requirements for day-to-day tech at CMA:
- A laptop computer with a current (< 5 years old) operating system and the ability to connect to the internet with an up-to-date web browser– preferably Google Chrome. A battery capable of all-day use it also crucial, 6 hrs is a minimum.
- A scientific calculator – not built into cellphone (for grades 7 – 10), see the FAQ.
- A graphing calculator (for grades 11 & 12), may be advantageous for grade 10 students as well.
Middle School: Chromebook
- Secure and distraction-free ChromeOS, perfect for young computer users
- Extreme battery life (2 school days on one charge!)
- Built for Google web apps used every day
- Variety of price points and features from ASUS, HP, Acer, Toshiba, and Samsung
- Read more
Senior School: Apple Macbook Air
- Powerful but easy to use macOS
- Great battery life
- Most popular student computer
- Required for students who choose to take coding and design courses
- Read more